Pages

i'm not sure how to tell you this...

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

...but what do you reckon this is?




Why it's a day old Coot chick you say.  What's so special about that?

Perhaps if I put it in a little context for you...


Oh, you say.  That looks like a nest in the river Wandle that has been built on a shopping trolley by two Coots, and by golly it looks like there is a chick on the nest.

AT LAST! Insert a prodigious amount of joyful swearing right here................

That’s right dear reader, the Shopping Trolley Coots have, after at least three years of trying, incubated eggs successfully and now have young.  I say it again - the Shopping Trolley Coots have, after at least three years of trying, incubated eggs successfully and now have young

No, honestly.

No, I can hardly believe it myself either.

Lets have another view.


Yes, that is a Coot on a nest with a chick.  Gobsmacked I am.

Yesterday, there were three chicks and the adult was still looking after an egg or two. The weather was overcast and threatening to rain, so being young they stayed close to the female. 

I'll probably throw a cynical view in tomorrow, but for the moment just bask in the glory of persistence.

5 comments:

jenjen1352 said...

Congratulations! You must be very proud. :P

Ernest said...

Remember... every Coot is important! Seriously for once, I'm dead chuffed .
I wonder if it will grow up to be a an aCOOTnant or a seller of ACOOTrements? Or, perhaps, save the world by inventing a sCOOTer which runs on pollen or something.
Hey... that's not a bad idea.

Dave said...

Congrats on the new addition to the family!
You must be very proud...finally...

Bryan Rains said...

I knew they could do it. Can you send one up to me as we don't have them here;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails