Pages

second annual singalong

Friday, April 30, 2010

Sitting on park bench, eyeing feral pigeons with bad intent.  I had the optics focused in the distance, again watching a distant buteo morph into an immature Herring Gull for the umpteenth time that day when something seemed to be flying near them that was neither buteo nor larid.  A little further focusing and I was seeing something unfamiliar, but somehow I knew what it was.  What they were.  Because there were four of them, and they were Swifts.  They are back.  The bestest of the best birds.  So lets reprise the joyous sound of the song that I sang last year - I'm sure you know the words...

All together now!


Oooooooh, the fucking swifts are back,


The fucking swifts are back,

Ee-ii-addy-oh,

The fucking swifts are back!

Oi!

Oh,  the fucking swifts are back,

The fucking swifts are back,

Ee-ii-addy-oh,

The fucking swifts are back!

United! United! United! United!
 
 
 
I like Swifts.

A Moorhen doing walking on water.

4 comments:

Ernest said...

[a] Oh Happy Day!
[b] Jethro Tull.. Aqualung... brilliant.
[c] Are the Swifts actually fucking yet?
[d] A love Swifts, but I like House Martins even more.
[e] Back in the days when Swifts used to nest near my house, they were sometimes forced down on to our (then) lawn by Starlings. I would have to pick them up and take them upstairs to chuck them out of the window. They are surprisingly big and primitive close up. I wish I was.
[f] How refreshing to see a chunk of genuine enthusiasm and fun in the rat-race birding world.
Best wishes from Ray

col said...

we used to sit out on the roof of our flat in aberdeen in the "summer" and squirt the swifts with big water pistols when they whanged past - they loved it! You could watch them circling round coming back for more - great laugh and great birds! any chance of a link?

Dave said...

Indeed...oh happy days!

Thing said...

Thanks to all as usual.

@col - dont think that blogger can link into the surfbirds blogs (something about the feed).

Related Posts with Thumbnails