Pages

And then there was two...

Friday, March 13, 2009

Thought I'd check up on the coots again today.

Still in place, still gathering nest material, still sitting...



...and they have lost eggs already.

As I left, the tide was rising...

If this follows the normal procedure, they will mate again shortly, the nest will be improved and raised. If they are lucky enough to raise it higher there still could be success.
A note on the possibly implied disturbance here. The nest is by a busy public path and road, and last year they would sit tight regardless of the disturbance, but they are more skittish so far this year. Although in the last two days they have moved off the nest in my presence - I have moved away sharpish and one of them has returned to sit straight away. Although my ugly mug is the least of their problems...

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails